Friend or I'm busy right now.

When you have a child with special needs, you definitely have to take a step back and see who are truly your support system. In this autism world, you lose a lot of people. Let's face it, there aren't too many people out there that truly understand a child with special  needs.

Having more than one child can really put things in perspective. Dj is usually the odd man out. He gets excluded from things that his big sister doesn't.  And while he hasn't a clue what's going on, one day he will.  I try my best to protect him because when he gets excluded it hurts.

I was raised with a take it or leave it attitude. If we all can't roll together, that none of us can. But not everyone is accepting of that. I'm going to live the rest of my days shielding DJ from strangers leaving him out because he's "different". But when it starts to happen in your own backyard, that's when it's the most hurtful.

So what do I do? Let it happen? Start a war? Cut ties with people?

Am I supposed to expect people closest to me to stop what they are doing to enter  DJ's world?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Without Grandma

Another Child, Another Diagnosis

Meltdowns